Have you ever wondered why some people are famous? I was reading People's website just now, because that's what I do at 11:00 at night... (you wish you were cool like me)... and suddenly it hit me. There are alot of people who are famous for being famous.
There is a term for it. You can even look it up on wikipedia if you don't believe me. :) "Famesque" defines actors, singers, or athletes who have become celebrities despite having achieved very little, if any, success in their careers.
Take Jessica Simpson, for example. She is all over magazine covers right now because she is pregnant, but when you think about it, what is she famous for? Well, way back in the late 1990s, she had a couple songs make it on Billboard, like "I Think That I'm In Love With You." But she never achieved the hysteria that Britney Spears did with her music. Then Jessica had her Newlywed reality TV stint with Nick Lachey, where she famously got confused about "Chicken of the Sea" being chicken instead of tuna. After that, Jessica dabbled in a few things, like random movies (Dukes of Hazard), dated other celebrities (John Mayer), and did what alot of reality stars do, and created her own clothing line. There is no denying it. She is famous and wealthy. But when you actually look at it, she hasn't excelled at anything. She's no Sandra Bullock.
1. Kim Kardashian and Kompany. Sex tapes apparently really can make you a household name... Kim's famous for that and her big butt, and the rest are famous for being related to Kim.
2. Paris Hilton. "Do they sell walls at Wal-mart?" But would she even have gotten the show if she weren't filthy rich and an heiress?
3. Vanna White. Just think about it. Enough said.
4. Kevin Federline. Famous for being married to Britney Spears. And then famous for... getting really fat and losing it just in time to get fat again. Stop putting him in magazines! Seriously!
5. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt. Luckily they have faded away... but still, they were front page news for quite a while. Famous for being roomates with Lauren Conrad, I guess.
6. Kelly Osbourne. She's labelled a fashion icon by a lot of celebrity sites... but really, she is only famous because of Ozzy.
7. Other celebrity kids... Nicole Richie, Kimberly Stewart, Ivanka Trump. Am I missing anyone else?
I used to want to be famous, when I was little. I thought it would be so cool to have people know me and take pictures of me and plaster them in magazines. How awesome, right? Now, though, I am a bit more of a recluse, as any of my friends will attest. Being famous would definitely make me uncomfortable. But alot of people still crave it.
It does have its perks, I'm sure. Britney Spears said that "The cool thing about being famous is traveling. I have always wanted to travel across seas, like to Canada and stuff." That's right. Being famous means you get to travel overseas to Canada. :) Ha!
Anyway, have a wonderful night, everyone! And let me know... whose fame do you wonder about? Is there anyone who you look at and say "Why the heck are they famous?"
Adios, until next time!
PS -If you like the celebrity lifestyle, have ever dreamt of being famous or just enjoy catching up with gossip on People like I do, you'll love my book, "Tanned, Toned and Totally Faking It", due in stores on April 10. :) Coming soon!