Thursday, August 9, 2012

I've Got Your Number - Book Review

I hate having to buy a book in hard cover, except for the John Grisham ones that line my bookshelf and make me feel smarter for having them there. Normally, when forced to buy a hard cover book because a) they haven't released the soft cover ones yet and I am impatient, or b) they are out of the soft covered ones, I always feels like I am wasting my money. Super frustrating.

So anyway... Stephen bought me a hard covered copy of Sophie Kinsella's newest book, I've Got Your Number,  for our anniversary gift... and I would buy it again. And again. All in hard cover. Because this book is that good.

Seriously.

 
What's it about?

Poppy Wyatt is about to marry her dream guy, Magnus Tavish, but out of nowhere, her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. She loses her family heirloom engagement ring in a hotel fire drill and, in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life. Soon a relationship develops between the two as they struggle to sort out their lives, making a bit of an intrusive mess in the others while they are at it.

This book was brilliant. Poppy was the most intelligent and sweet heroine I've met in a long time. She was spunky, yet kind, intelligent, yet humble. Stephen gave me the book at 1:00 this afternoon and by 5:30 I was done. I could not put the book down. I only wish it would have been longer.... :)

I thought at first glance that it would be a bit predictable. Sophie Kinsella, while one of my absolute favourite authors, usually has a bit of a formula in her books, but this one kept me guessing. I loved the ending. I loved the beginning. I was captivated from page one.

The book was clean, uplifting and pure enjoyment. 5 out of 5 stars, although I would give it more if I could!

xox

PS - After you've read this excellent book, read another that, according to one reviewer, is "Canada's answer to Sophie Kinsella", with "characters that are funny, fresh, sometimes flawed, but always believable." Check out this summer's hottest summer novel,  Tanned, Toned and Totally Faking It today!



3 comments:

  1. Done and done! This is going on my to-read list. wish I could borrow yours lol. My favorite Sophie Kinsella book is Remember Me. I thought that one showed a lot of maturity in her writing, departing from the formulaic and coming up with a real solid novel beyond the standard chick lit formula.

    ReplyDelete